New York, NY
Designation: AIF® (Accredited Investment Fiduciary)
Rober Scherzer heads Pensionmark’s Metro New York office, and is primarily responsible for the development and oversight of its institutional consulting business for corporate, tax‑exempt, and governmental retirement plans.
Bob has extensive institutional experience, with nearly 30 years in the retirement plan industry. He has spent the majority of his career servicing plans of all sizes and complexities, including several of the nation’s largest retirement plans. His breadth and depth of knowledge cover all aspects of defined contribution, defined benefit, ESOP, and non-qualified plans, including:
- Recordkeeping platforms
- Plan Design/Behavioral Finance techniques
- Institutional investments and stable value portfolios
- Fiduciary governance
- Liability-driven investing of defined benefit plans
- Buy-in/buy-out strategies of defined benefit plans
- Employee engagement and financial education strategies
Prior to founding the Metro New York office in 2016, Bob ran the Principal Financial Group’s largest retirement sales and service office in New York City for many years. Bob supervised its team of 15 highly trained professionals, personally working with plan sponsors and retirement plans of all sizes and complexities, and responsible for annual goals exceeding 500 plans and $1.2 billion in corporate and tax-exempt retirement plan assets.
Bob lives in Basking Ridge, New Jersey with his wife, Leslie, and children Ryan, Connor, Katie, and Colin. His passions include coaching football and baseball at the youth level and spending time at Long Beach Island with his family. Bob is a former board member of the Worldwide Children’s Foundation and current trustee of Chuck’s 15 Yard Foundation, assisting a local family in financial difficulty.
Designation: AIF® (Accredited Investment Fiduciary)
Sergio has been in the financial services industry for nearly 20 years and has extensive experience in managing retirement plans for corporations and non-profits. He serves Pensionmark’s New York Metro area clients in all aspects of plan administration, including:
- Plan design consulting – keeping clients up to date on the legislative environment, and reviewing plan design provisions to help ensure that the plan still meets their needs.
- Plan provider selection – assisting clients in reviewing the administrative services offered by their plan provider, and determining if costs are reasonable relative to the marketplace.
- Fiduciary education – working with plan fiduciaries to make sure they understand their responsibilities and liabilities relating to their retirement plan.
- Investment option selection and monitoring – assisting with the initial design of the investment lineup, and the ongoing monitoring of those options.
- Employee education – working with the retirement plan provider to create an education plan to help meet each company’s specific needs.
- Ongoing support – working with clients to correct any operational deficiencies, including late contributions, late Form 5500 filings, untimely ADP/ACP refunds, and plan operation inconsistent with the plan document.
Prior to joining the Metro New York office, Sergio managed corporate and non-profit retirement plans at MGI Retirement Advisors for more than 11 years, serving more than 50 clients with over $200 million in assets under advisement. He also worked in individual wealth management with UBS-AG and Middlegate Securities.
Sergio is a lifelong New York City resident and lives in Astoria, Queens. He actively participates in short-distance triathlons and has completed several half-Ironman distance races.
Designations: ASA, EA
Larry is a project manager and account manager for Pensionmark’s corporate, tax exempt, and governmental retirement plan clients, and also coordinates clients’ vendor searches.
Larry is an actuary with over 35 years of experience in the design, administration, and auditing of company-sponsored retirement plans. He has an extensive background in plan services for small, mid-size, and Fortune 500 companies and non-profits, including recordkeeping, communications, outsourcing services, operational and compliance reviews, and vendor searches. He has spoken frequently at benefits conferences and seminars and has had numerous articles published in leading benefits publications. In 2005, Larry was cited by HRO Today magazine as one of the nation’s leaders among human resource outsourcing advisors.
Prior to joining Pensionmark, Larry was a Principal and Director in the recordkeeping and consulting practices of Kwasha Lipton, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Buck Consultants, William M. Mercer, and the Principal Financial Group. Throughout his career, in addition to plan administration, communications, and consulting services, he has spearheaded technical training and quality control programs for customer service, communications, recordkeeping, and consulting teams, as well as on-site programs for clients.
Larry received Bachelor of Arts degrees in Applied Mathematics and Sociology from Brown University. He lives in Fair Lawn, New Jersey with his wife, Sue, and sons Matt and David. His interests include baseball, hockey, and photography. He founded Keen Eye Sports Video & Advisory Services in 2013 to help local high school athletes and their families navigate the college recruiting process. He is certified in New Jersey as a high school math teacher, and is a former president of the Fair Lawn All-Sports Association for youth sports.